Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cross-Cultural Communication class to Trans World Radio

Last Monday our class of Cross-Cultural Communication made a trip to Trans World Radio which is the only Short Wave Radio Station over here in the island of Guam. This Radio Station is broadcasting about 25 different languages abroad the island. The source that they get for their broadcasting is coming from Singapore and according to my observation when we went to their office, I assume that their Hot Spot or one of their main target is in China. When I asked about their stations, they have 14 stations on their own and most of the broadcast go through some other stations which they have partnership with. The tour on their station was really amazing and I hope it opened the window of opportunity to some of my classmates in Cross-Cultural Communication for their future ministries. As the tour continued, I learned that those people who are working over there, all of them have different backgrounds and none of them are the same. Some were farmers, some were working with some Naval defensive devices, some were working with electrical stuffs, so they are just a rainbow color in that one station producing Fruit Loop Cereal to the world and I think that is very good. The station suppose to have 12 crew members and as for now, it only have 7 people working on the station, so pray for them so they may find some people that could help them out.

The tour was really helpful and it kind of helped me out a little bit because I saw some materials in that station that gave me some ideas of how to build my own studio. Yes... I am planning to come up with a small studio sometimes in the future that would help to process the albums and any types of songs for those people who are gifted in singing. This is another type of small ministry that I want to come up with. Even though I say a lot of things that I want them to happen, I do not have any control of doing them. They are all in God's control. I also learned something new while I was there. Even though I took Auto Mechanic Technology back in Palau, and learned a little about the diesel engines, I did not know that there are some diesel engines that could function without using a glow plug. In a gas engine, it uses spark plug and in diesel engine, it uses glow plug. But I just found out that there are diesel engine that can cause a combustion chamber without using a glow plug. Combustion chamber is a moment when fuel meets with air and fire to produce energy or power. In regular diesel engine, it has glow plug and that glow plug is function as spark plug. But this does not have any glow plug. I think the it has more power to its compression chamber. In the engine, it has four stages to produce power. Intake Chamber, Compression Chamber, Combustion Chamber, then Exhaust Chamber. The fuel and air is taken to the cylinder block (Intake) and the pistion presses it and make the fuel hot and thinner (Compress) and then the fire is produced to cause the fuel to explode (Combust) and the debries and smoke after the combustion will come out of the cylinder block (Exhaust). But since there is no glow plug or spark plug, then I would assume that the compression chamber is not only heating up the fuel to make it thin, but I think it compress it until it is hot enough to combust or explode without using any spark plug or glow plug. Well, other than what I learned in that radio station, I enjoyed the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment