Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Being a former military soldier, I took some courses of supervision and I was also trained to take charge of any sort of leadership. There were some point I took charge of responsibilities over some soldiers in my company. But taking leadership in Military is totally different from assuming leadership in the Church or any sort of ministry leadership. When I went to Palau after my military contract, I started joining Shalom Youth which is the youth for Koror Evangelical Church. Joining that small youth group, I had a chance to take little responsibilities by hosting the program on friday nights or taking care of some youths with their questions regarding the Bible and our Christian lives. With that practical training, I was growing very fast and learned so much through these young beautiful youths. Since I was not the average age but little older than them, I considered them as my children. When someone approach me or if I call one of them, I address them with "My Child" before I start my conversation with him/her. In late 2005 or early 2006, I was chosen to be one of the leader of this youth group. all the Officers and leaders went to the front of the Church and Pastor Kuartei prayed for us. At that moment, I gained more horse power of taking my job more seriously as a leader. I started getting rid of my habitual sins and started improving my Christian life. Every three months, we have a Youth Conference and our youth attend this conference. Since the conference starts on Friday night and ends in Sunday morning, we pack our bedding, clothes, foods, and anything that we need during those days and then go to the village where conference is held. Through those times that we sleep together and eat together, I also learned more and learned how to open up and feel free to share my problems to them because I gained my trust toward them through those fellowship with them. With that little leadership of Shalom, I become more active on church activities and started taking initiative of taking responsibilities at Koror Church. Our youth also sometimes were asked to help some group of youth like Ngetpang Youth to help them singing and help them to be confidence on thier posture of singing in front of the Church and at the same time, teaching them how to attract other youths to join their group. After those many fellowship with the youths, I grew up so fast in my Christian life and wanted more. So then, I started taking PIBC courses in Palau TF and started attending Church Leadership Meetings whenever it happened. It was well trained in practical training while I was in Palau, so when I came to Guam Campus, it was easy for me to blend in to this atmosphere of Christian College. If it was me, I would recommend a person to at least serve the Church for one year so he or she could at least get a sense of how to be a servant before they come to school. I believe that if a person who does not serve comes to this campus and attend the class and try to live the standard in this campus, that person will struggle for quite some times before he or she gets the idea of how to survive in this campus. For me, I was well trained for four years in Palau Church, so when I came, it was just moving from my house in Koror to my house in Ngarchelong.

No comments:

Post a Comment